University of San Carlos – TC
The Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering (BSCompE) program is a combination of electrical engineering and computer science. Its curriculum provides students with a foundation in basic science, mathematics, software and engineering.
The program equips students with the ability to analyze, plan, design, install, operate and maintain digital devices and computer hardware and software systems. These include operating systems (such as Windows and Linux) , middle-ware (such as android systems, game engines), business applications (such as Microsoft Office, accounting software) and network control systems (such as CISCO) and computer games. You will also be taught on how to design a microprocessor and develop an embedded systems that are used in desktops or hand-held devices. In addition, written and oral communication skills are emphasized throughout the program.
The teaching methods used are classroom discussions, practicum exercises spent in computer laboratories, team projects and on the job trainings or internships.
Is Computer Engineering a profession?
Computer Engineering is a profession. Computer engineers evaluate users’ needs and utilize principles from computer science and mathematics to create software that meets the requirements. They develop algorithms and convert them into programming language.
A graduate of BS in Computer Engineering automatically becomes a Computer Engineer as the course proffesion does not require any board examination.
What are the admission requirements for BSCompE?
The only specific requirement for this course is to have an 85% grade in both Science and Math. If you are a high school graduate, able to submit the necessary credentials/documents, and passed the college entrance examination and interview, you will be admitted in the BSCompE program.
Students who were not able to complete secondary level of education have the chance to be admitted if they pass the Philippine Educational Placement Test (PEPT).
How long does it take to complete the Computer Engineering program?
Normally, the BSCompE program takes 5 years to complete. Some schools who apply the trimesteral system do the program in 4 and half or 4 years.
- Software Development – concerned with the facets of software development process which includes research, design, implementation and testing of software
- Computer hardware system development –a specialized field concerned with the design and development of scanners, printers, monitors, central processing units etc.
- System and Network Administration – a field concerned with the installation, support and maintenance of servers or other computer systems and the development of a plan for service outages and other problems
- Microelectronics – the design, manufacture, and use of microchips and microcircuits
- Robotics/ Artificial Intelligence – deals with the design, construction, operation, and application of robots as well as computer systems for their control, sensory feedback, and information processing
Career Opportunities for BSCompE graduates
- Junior Software Developer – design and maintain software applications; conduct system tests, troubleshoot customer issues and correct software defects
- Test Engineers – creates a process that would test a particular product in manufacturing, quality assurance or related area like RMA department, in order to assure that the product meets applicable specifications
- Computer Programmer – rewrites, debugs, maintains, and test software and programs that instruct the computer to accomplish certain tasks such as storing or retrieving data
- Support Specialist – serves as help desk technicians answer phone calls or emails from people with software or hardware problems they cannot solve by themselves
- Instrumentation Technician – inspects and adjusts mechanical and pneumatic instruments and systems
- Applications Analyst – creates word processing applications and web browsers
- Printed Circuit designer – designs printed circuit boards for computers or other electronic equipments with the use of computer–aided drafting software
- Electrical Designer – create wiring diagrams for installers; gives details on the layout and materials required for an electrical system
- Robotics Control Systems Engineer – designs, researches and develops programs and applications for robots; they also work in testing and product development, testing the robot’s components to create the final design
- Network systems administrator/manager – oversees the implementation and administration of computer and telecommunication networks for an organization
- Computer Systems Manager – plan, direct, or coordinate activities in such fields as electronic data processing, information systems, systems analysis, and computer programming
- Quality Assurance Manager – assures consistent quality of production by developing and enforcing good automated manufacturing practice (GAMP) systems; validating processes; providing documentation; managing staff
- Senior Communications Engineer – monitors outgoing and incoming signals and operate transmitters, repair broadcasting equipment and adjust the contrast, brightness and sound of outgoing television signals
- Systems Analyst – design scientific, engineering, financial and other applications; consult with managers and employees to define the requirements, and then develop and integrate the necessary hardware and software systems
- LNetwork Architects – designs and structures computer networking within businesses
- Systems Engineer – designs and implements computer systems, software and networks; ensure that computer systems function efficiently and securely to support an organization’s information technology needs
- Computer Consultant – gives advice regarding computer programs and applications a company should use or might need; creates computer networks, writes user manuals and design websites or provides training classes in computer usage
- Call center agent – answers phone calls and inquiries of clients and provides customer support, usually to people from other countries
- Administrative Staff – personnel responsible for the organization and management of office duties and tasks; positions that include office secretary, personal assistant and office clerk
- Freelancer working online – doing online jobs for clients abroad, such as data entry, article writing, SEO, customer support , administrative support etc., which mainly depends on your skills